Open Enrollment Application
Florence Unified School District Open Enrollment Procedures
Open Enrollment enables students in Arizona to attend public schools outside their boundary area. The Florence Unified School District is accepting applications for Open Enrollment. Procedures for accepting students are described below. In accordance with state law, the Florence Unified School District has an Open Enrollment policy and applications may be submitted online. All students who live within a school's designated boundaries will be accepted regardless if Open Enrollment Capacity is available.
In compliance with ARS 15-816, each school's capacity is listed on this page with which grade levels and/or specialized programming is currently available for the acceptance of Open Enrollment. Open Enrollment is based upon existing capacity for each grade level and program for the school to which the pupil is applying. Students will only be accepted if there is an open seat available based upon the grade level or program capacity. The capacity for each school will be listed on the school’s website and updated every 12 weeks.
Students who are not accepted due to limited capacity will be placed on a waiting list.
FUSD will give enrollment preference to the following students during the Open Enrollment application window:
- Pupils who are children of persons who are employed by or at a school in the School District.
- Pupils returning to the school from the prior year.
- Siblings of pupils already enrolled.
- Are in foster care.
- Meet the definition of unaccompanied youth prescribed in the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (P.L. 100-77; 101 Stat. 482; 42 United States Code Section 11434a).
- Pupils who are attending a program only available at that school.
- Attend a school that is closing.
- Students who reside within the Florence Unified School District boundaries.
Wait List and Selection Process
Students who are placed on a waitlist due to capacity limitations will be selected through an equitable selection process based on when their application was submitted.
The initial application window for open enrollment will begin March 1, 2022 for the following school year. The school district will allow Open Enrollment students to apply.
Notification will be provided for all Open Enrollment applications. Pupils who are accepted will be immediately enrolled and must complete registration requirements within 10 days of acceptance. Pupils who are denied enrollment will be provided notice of the reasons for denial and, if eligible, will be placed on a waiting list.
Capacity for each school and/or grade level will be provided and updated every 12 weeks. Specific program capacity will be listed on each school’s individual website.
In order to be considered for open enrollment, each pupil must have a completed open enrollment application submitted to the district. The Open Enrollment application includes the following information:
- Pupils name
- Pupil’s date of birth
- Pupil’s current grade
- Pupil’s parent/guardian name
- Pupil’s parent/guardian phone number
- Pupil’s address of residence
- Pupil’s parent/guardian email address
- Pupil’s current/last school of attendance
- Pupil’s requested school of attendance
- Siblings currently attending
*A school district may refuse to admit any pupil who has been expelled from another educational institution or who is in the process of being expelled from another educational institution.
Except as provided in A.R.S. 15-816.01, a school that is operated by a school district may not limit admission based on any of the following:
- Ethnicity or race.
- National origin.
- Income level.
- Proficiency in the English language.
- Athletic ability.
Parents must provide transportation for students who are approved for a boundary variance.
The District shall provide transportation for students with disabilities whose individualized education program (IEP) specifies that transportation is necessary for fulfillment of the program:
- If not more than thirty (30) miles to and from:
- the school of attendance, or
- a pickup point on a regular District transportation route,
- for the total miles traveled each day to an adjacent district.
Determine Your Home School
Please view the School Boundary page to determine your home school. If you wish to send your child to an FUSD school outside your home school or district boundaries, please complete an open boundary application.